The English School of Tampere, also known as “Enkku”, is the oldest language school in Tampere established in 1957. For over half a century Enkku has been known to raise international children with great language skills. We have taught more than 2500 pupils and now many of them already bring their own children and even grandchildren to Enkku.
The most important things at Enkku have remained the same for over than 60 years: motivating an international atmosphere and sense of belonging in to the community, combined with practicing social skills together with first-class language teaching.
Enkku offers an excellent way for a child to learn English. You can sign up your child to Enkku´s language path depending on your family´s needs from the age of three, all the way up to the school age. We are using the sensitive periods in child´s growth to teach languages, and building the English skills with games, songs and handicrafts which are the most natural ways for a child to learn. We believe in each child´s talents and try and develop them further. The pupils learn in a positive and encouraging climate.
Enkku is run by a parent association. All the parents are a part of this association, and parents and school staff together create a warm and family like community that arranges all kinds of events for the whole family to enjoy. School is perfectly suitable for international families. In addition to running our own Enkku Daycare we also co-operate with other daycare centres nearby.
- Children need to be at school on time.
- Children should take off and leave their shoes downstairs. In case parents escort their children upstairs, they leave their shoes downstairs or use plastic shoe covers.
- In stairways and corridors children should be walking and keeping their noise level low.
- Children should leave their clothes, caps and gloves in pre-named rack places or school bag and put on slippers/indoor shoes. Indoor shoes can be stored in the school.
- Children should have a proper gear for going outside in any kind of weather.
- School bags are left in the racks, only books are taken to the classroom. School bags need to be big enough to fit A4-sized book.
- Clothes, shoes, and school bag need to have a name tag.
- It is recommended to cover the book for school and pack it in a see-through plastic pocket.
- Common rules and teachers´ guidance are to be followed in the school.
- Toys and games from home are allowed in the school in special days.
- If a teacher observes that a child is struggling to adapt to school, they will discuss the matter with parents.
- Board has the right to suspend the child for set period of time.
- Being late or absent needs to be informed to the child’s teacher. Most convenient way to do this is by using text message, please confirm the right number from your child´s teacher.
- At the start of the new term, please inform your child´s teacher is about any special arrangements for school pick-ups. Let the staff know if there are any changes.
- For safety reasons school door is locked during the day. At the left hand side of the door there is a doorbell. Kindly show the doorbell to the child and teach him/her to press it in case of an emergency.
Register your child's place in ENKKU!Preliminary enrolment form. After filling in this enrolment form we will contact you from Enkku and fix a date so you can come and meet us.
The registration is completed later.